Year 2 - Butterflies and Dragonflies
Welcome to Year 2
This will hopefully provide you with everything you will need to know about life in Year 2.
Timings of the day
In Year 2, the Key Stage one gate opens at 8.40am and closes at 8:50am. Once the gate is closed, entrance will be via the school office where you will be required to sign your child in.
Break time in the morning is at 10.30am until 10:45am and there is a further 15 minute break in the afternoon. During the morning break, children will be able to play with children from KS1 and use a variety equipment to make their play more exciting. Children are also provided with a healthy snack.
Lunchtime is at 12pm until 1pm.
Children should be collected at 3:20pm from outside the classroom at the end of the school day.
Learning in Year 2
We will continue the wonderful work that was started in Early Years and continued through Year 1. There will be a range of topics during the year, which will allow children to acquire and apply their knowledge and skills through a cross curricular approach. We will continue working with parents to create a supportive environment where children can flourish and extend their love of learning.
English and Maths and Phonics will continue to be taught daily. Other curriculum areas will be taught throughout the week such as Science, History, Geography Music, French and RE. PE will be taught twice a week and children attend Forest School as a class on alternate weeks. The children are able to attend school in their PE kit on PE school days. Children in Year 2 have two hours of PE each week.
Children will continue to bring their book bags into school every day. Children will change their books once they have been completed. Children will read regularly with an adult, to develop their fluency and understanding and this will be either individual or group reading alongside written comprehension. We would like all our parents to read with their children at least 3 times a week, and please feel free to comment in the pupil planner.
Children are expected to read at home 3 times a week as well as practising their number bonds and spellings - these can be found at the back of pupil planners. There are optional creative challenges which children will be set dependent on the current learning.
How you can help at home
- Please continue to help your child develop their speaking and listening skills by discussing their experiences and exploring how and why things happen.
- Encourage and read with your child, and talk about what they have read. This will help their reading speed, understanding and their writing ability. There is further information in the pupil planner to support you with this.
- In Year 2, we move towards children knowing their 2, 5, 10 and 3 times tables. Children can benefit from counting in these number patterns.
- Try to take every opportunity to write, this could include shopping lists, postcards or a diary for example.
- Support your child with their home learning and complete their 'what have I enjoyed this week/what have I found hard' section in their weekly planner.
- Discuss the knowledge organisers with your child.
- You can order school uniform from the School Trends website (link below).
Please ensure that all uniform is named.
- If you would like your child to continue receiving milk during the morning break please use the ‘Cool Milk’ website (link below).
- Please make sure the form with names of who can collect your child is up to date (the current forms will move up a year with your child unless they are updated).
- To ensure you keep up to date with what is happening in school, please ensure you are receiving ParentMail messages and confirm your email and telephone numbers are up to date. If you have any questions or would like to update your details please see the School Office.
- Due to a number of children with a severe nut allergy, we would really appreciate your
- co-operation with keeping our school ‘nut free’.