Year 2 - Welcome
Welcome to Year 2
This will hopefully provide you with everything you will need to know about life in Year 2.
Timings of the day
In Year 2, the Key Stage one gate opens at 8.30am and closes at 8:40am. Once the gate is closed, entrance will be via the school office where you will be required to sign your child in.
Break time in the morning is at 9.55am until 10:15am and afternoon break is a 15 minute learning break sometime in the afternoon. During the morning break, children will be able to play with children from KS1 and use a variety equipment to make their play more exciting. Children are also provided with a snack which is often a piece of fresh fruit.
Lunchtime is at 12pm until 12.50pm. The children get called in for lunch when it is their time.
Children should be collected at 3:10pm from outside of the classroom at the end of the school day.
Learning in Year 2
We will continue the wonderful work that was started in Early Years and continued through Year 1. There will be a range of topics during the year, which will allow children to apply their knowledge and skills through a cross curricular approach. We will continue working with parents to create a supportive environment where children can flourish and extend their love of learning.
English and Maths will continue to be taught daily. In addition to the English and Maths learning, children will complete, Handwriting, Reading, Spelling and KIRFs (Key Instant Recall Facts for Maths). Other curriculum areas will be taught throughout the afternoon.
Children in Year 2 have two hours of PE each week. Indoor PE is on a Monday and Outdoor PE is on a Wednesday. Please ensure that your child’s PE kit is named and in school. Children will need plimsols for indoor and trainers for outdoor PE. During the winter months, it is important to provide warm clothing and a hat in the summer. Jewellery should be removed on PE days.
Children will continue to bring their book bags into school every day. Children will change their books once they have been completed and the reading record is signed. This book will be a colour banded book according to the ability of the child. A reading assessment that focuses on comprehension, fluency and understanding will be used to assessed a child’s reading ability. Children will read regularly with an adult, this will be either individual or group reading alongside written comprehension. We would like all our parents to read with their children every day and to comment in their reading record.
Children have two playtimes daily: one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Playtimes last for twenty minutes. As the year progresses, the afternoon play will be reduced until it is no longer needed. A healthy snack will be given to the children during the morning play time and they have constant access to water. Please ensure water bottles are provided with labels on the lid and bottle. If you would like your child to have milk, please follow the link below. Lunchtime begins at 12pm and ends at 12.50pm. Information on school dinners can be found at
Home learning will continue in the same format as Year 1. We would like all our parents to read with their child on a daily basis and comment in the reading record provided. Spellings follow a weekly spelling rule and they will start in September. Children will be given up to eight words to practise daily and their test will be on a Friday. A Maths or English challenge will be given each Friday and this needs to be completed by Wednesday. In addition to this, children will be provided with a ‘Theme,’ Homework Sheet, which will be stuck into the front of their Homework book and children are encouraged to complete as much as possible. Children are also encouraged to complete ‘50 things to do before you leave Lakeview’ which will be kept in the back of the homework books.
- You can order school uniform from the School Trends website (link below).
Please ensure that all uniform is named.
- If you would like your child to continue receiving milk during the morning break please use the ‘Cool Milk’ website (link below).
- Please make sure the form with names of who can collect your child is up to date (the current forms will move up a year with your child unless they are updated).
- To ensure you keep up to date with what is happening in school, please ensure you are receiving ParentMail messages and confirm your email and telephone numbers are up to date. If you have any questions or would like to update your details please see the School Office.
- Due to a number of children with a severe nut allergy, we would really appreciate your
- co-operation with keeping our school ‘nut free’.
- Cool Milk – www.coolmilk.com
- School Trends – www.schooltrends.co.uk
- Dawn ‘til Dusk – www.kidsdawntildusk.co.uk
How you can help at home
- Daily reading will ensure that the children are reading a range of texts and therefore gaining a greater understanding of story themes and developing their vocabulary. Using a range of questions will check their understanding.
- In Year 2, we move toward children knowing their 2, 5, 10 and 3 times tables. Children can benefit from counting in these number patterns.
- Try to take every opportunity to write, this could include shopping lists, postcards or a summer diary etc.
- Please continue to help your child develop their speaking and listening skills by discussing their experiences and exploring how and why things happen.